Home Insurance

We'll Protect Your Castle

At The Accel Group, we know your home is your oasis. It's important to protect both your structure and its contents. That's why we offer a wide variety of home insurance options. We want to make sure everything you value is protected against damage and loss. Our advisors will make sure you have the ideal coverage – not too little; not too much – for all your material possessions.

Each of these lines of home insurance coverage has its own unique options that can be incorporated to tailor a policy specific to your needs. We do this while making sure that your premium dollars are being spent on the most comprehensive and reasonably priced options.

With our carriers and experience, your most important assets are always well protected.

Selecting Your Coverage

The Accel Group is a leader in protecting homes and their contents, autos, and other recreational items. Choosing the right Iowa home insurance advisor is as crucial as selecting your lawyer or financial planner, so choose a provider with extensive training and years of experience. Let one of our advisors help protect your assets.

We offer a wide variety of personal lines products, with access to several outstanding carriers. Contact us to speak with one of our advisors or get a free online home insurance quote.

Homeowner's Insurance

Insurance for homeowners, renters, and condo owners provides protection in two main areas: property and liability. The protection provided by each type of coverage is multi-layered and can be complex. We'll take the time every few years to review your policy to prevent gaps in coverage.

What types of home insurance do you offer?

Property is something that is owned by a person. This can range from the home itself to the contents. It is easier to conceptualize insuring these items because they are tangible.

  • A homeowner's insurance policy provides protection for your home. Coverage on this policy includes the structure, other structures on the premises, and your belongings.
  • A renter's insurance policy covers an occupant's belongings when their place of residence is rented. No coverage for the structure is available.
  • A condo owner's policy is designed to meet the needs of condo owners by providing coverage for your belongings and allowing you to purchase coverage for the structure, as determined by your association by-laws.

Often these three different, yet similar, policies are referred to as homeowner's insurance. Policies are also available for seasonal homes.

Who do you recommend should purchase liability coverage?

Liability coverage protects you, the policyholder, when injury is caused to a third party and your actions (or lack of action) is deemed to be the cause. Many times, simply having a policy in place prevents legal proceedings.

Does your homeowner insurance cover personal injury?

Most homeowners’ policies do not automatically provide coverage for personal injury offenses like libel or slander. Make sure to verify this coverage has been added. Liability protection is inexpensive. For this reason, always make sure to carry the highest level of coverage available and consider adding a personal liability umbrella to your insurance package.

Important Topics to Discuss with Your Insurance Advisor

  1. What is the actual replacement cost for both my home and contents?
  2. Does my property have any additional levels of risk? (i.e. a potentially dangerous dog or other pet, trampoline, pool, a wood burning oven, outbuildings, or an older home)
  3. What items might I need to replace after a water back up or sump pump failure?
  4. What types of coverage do I need for properties I rent to others? See our Landlord's Coverage.
  5. What is the true value of all my personal articles? See our Personal Article's Coverage.
  6. Can you provide a loss assessment for my condo?

These are only a fraction of the items that should be reviewed when meeting with your insurance advisor.

Landlord's Coverage

The primary characteristic of a homeowner's policy assumes that it is owner occupied. If a home is owned but not occupied by the owner or occupied by a tenant, you will need to look at alternative policies, such as landlord's coverage.

What are the advantages of this insurance?

These policies can provide replacement cost coverage on the structure, but will have lower limits for personal property.

The Accel Group has many options for rental properties. Since the exposure risk for rentals is different than for a homeowner's policy, be sure to talk to our insurance advisors about finding the best coverage fit.

Personal Articles

Most standard homeowner's policies have limitations for theft coverage if the item is commonly targeted for theft. This limitation includes but is not limited to jewelry, furs, fine art, cameras, and sports equipment, etc.

How can I best protect my valuable items?

Describing these oft-stolen items individually on a separate policy or "schedule" broadens the coverage for those items and often removes the deductible. We recommend an appraisal or other proof of value to document the value of the listed items.

We offer many options at The Accel Group to schedule items on your Iowa homeowner's policy or to write a standalone policy for any other items.

Ask us about your personal articles policy options today.


Flood insurance can be purchased through several different companies but the rates and requirements are established by the NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program).

Who qualifies for flood insurance?

If you live in a participating community, you can purchase flood insurance even if your lending institution doesn't require it. Most property policies, including homeowners' insurance, exclude flood as a covered cause of loss.

Flood insurance can cover both your structure and contents. However, there are coverage restrictions on some types of property and on the amount of coverage.

Contact us to discuss your flood insurance options.