Homeowners Insurance Eastern Iowa Help
“Home is where the heart is.” It’s a lovely old quote.
But owning a home is also one of the biggest investments you may ever make. It’s the place you feel safe. Home is where you have all your furniture, appliances, clothing, electronics, files, musical instruments, tools, photos, collectibles, art, and other items of value.
But life, as we all know, is full of surprises.
You cannot predict when a tornado or fire or earthquake or other catastrophic weather events may level your home and destroy all your possessions. You don’t know when or if you’ll be a victim of theft. You can’t prevent a pipe from bursting and flooding your basement. That’s why it’s critical to have homeowner’s insurance. You need financial protection.
The licensed and experienced insurance agents at The Accel Group will help you find the right coverage for your needs. Since 1928, we’ve been protecting the assets of thousands of Eastern Iowans. And we represent a variety of insurance companies so we can compare the best policies and plans for every homeowner.
In order to determine how much and what types of homeowners insurance in Eastern Iowa to purchase, you need to be realistic about your assets.
How much do you think it would cost to replace—at today’s prices—all the contents in your home? You might be surprised. How much do you believe it would cost to build a new home? How much property do you own and how much is it worth?
We work with you to answer your questions and explain the different types of coverage and make sure you get the coverage you need. For example, a homeowner’s insurance actual-cash-value policy will cover the original cost of whatever was damaged or destroyed, minus depreciation. A policy with replacement cost coverage will pay for the cost of rebuilding or replacing damaged property using today’s prices.
Here are five questions that will help you find the right homeowners policy:
- What does homeowner’s insurance cover? Many standard policies cover your dwelling, contents, structures (like attached garages and sheds), liability, and living costs if you’re displaced from your home. You can purchase supplemental policies like water backup coverage, a flood policy, identity fraud insurance and additional personal articles coverage.
- What is the value of my home? Though your home may have been built decades ago, consider the replacement cost to build or repair your entire house at today’s prices. Remember: Replacement cost coverage pays you for the actual cost of replacing your home. This is different than the market value of your home. When you’re considering the value of your home, don’t forget to include the cost of any home additions or remodeling projects you have completed.
- How much are my possessions worth? Take a thorough home inventory. Use a video camera to record your items or your cell phone camera to take photos. Keep this documentation in a secure, backed up area and make sure you update it regularly.
- Can I insure possessions of extra value? Yes. Whether you own a rare violin, expensive jewelry or a valuable painting, be aware that you may have to buy extra coverage to replace these pieces. That’s because some insurance policies limit the amount they’ll pay for individual items.
- Am I eligible for any discounts? Yes. Some insurers provide discounts if you purchase both your homeowner’s and auto policies from them. In addition, you may be rewarded with lower premiums if you install security and/or fire alarms in your home. Finally, some carriers offer discounts based on your occupation and education level.