There are a number of ways to stay safe on the road and help prevent accidents from happening. However, even the most cautious drivers can get in accidents. The Accel Group is an auto insurance provider in Eastern Iowa and is there for you when the unexpected happens. The Accel Group offers the following 8 tips to help you stay safe and avoid accidents while driving in Eastern Iowa.
- Drive at a Reasonable Speed – A variety of road conditions in Eastern Iowa makes driving at a reasonable speed very important. Construction, motorcyclists, and heavy traffic are all great reasons to slow down and drive sensibly. The posted speed limit is set to keep motorists safe. Exceeding the posted speed limit can result in accidents and insurance rate increases due to speeding tickets. Leave your destination early to ensure you arrive on time without the need to speed.
- Be Alert and Prepared To Stop – There are plenty of motorists, pedestrians, and busy intersections here in Eastern Iowa that drivers must remain alert and aware of while driving. Avoid distractions such as cell phones, rowdy passengers, or loud music to ensure your full attention is on the road at all times. A sudden brake or traffic light change can cause a major accident if a driver is distracted behind the wheel.
- Set the GPS Before You Drive – It may seem obvious, but motorists are often in a rush and take off without knowing exactly where they’re headed. To prevent dangerous situations, such as setting the GPS while driving, be sure to plug the address of your destination into your navigation system before taking off. This easy habit could protect you from an accident in the long run.
- Pay Special Attention to Road and Traffic Signs – Cities are full of dead end roads, one ways, and other tricky traffic situations. If you are unsure whether a road is safe to drive down, find an alternative route. Especially in an unfamiliar city or area of town, pay caution to stop signs and one-way streets. One wrong choice in this type of situation results in many motorist injuries and deaths across the country each year.
- Avoid Frequent Lane Changes – It can be tempting to switch lanes to arrive at a destination just a few minutes earlier, however weaving in and out of traffic increases your risk of a collision. While driving on the interstate, choose the lane appropriate to your speed and stick to it as best as you can.
- Keep Your Phone Out of Reach – We all understand the dangers of texting and talking on the phone while driving. It can be tempting to reach for your cell phone while driving. To eliminate this distraction, keep your cell phone in a hard to reach place like the glove box or tucked away in a purse or briefcase.
- Be Aware of Other Vehicles – In heavy traffic it can be difficult to predict the actions of other drivers. Remember to take into consideration the cars around you while driving in busy city traffic. Follow at a safe distance and give plenty of space when merging to avoid rear-end accidents.
- Remain Calm and Avoid Rash Decisions – When driving in an unfamiliar area of town avoid making quick decisions. If you are unsure exactly where you are going, or get stuck in rush hour traffic, remain calm and make smart driving decisions. Driving while frustrated can result in rash decisions and ultimately accidents.
Of course, even safe and cautious drivers get in accidents. When the unexpected happens, The Accel Group wants to ensure you are properly covered! For the best car insurance coverage in Eastern Iowa, contact an Accel Group agent today. A professional insurance agent can help you determine the proper type and amount of insurance coverage needed.
At The Accel Group, we offer a variety of insurance coverage including:
- Rental Reimbursement
- Lease/Gap Coverage
At The Accel Group, we understand accidents happen and are prepared to help you when they do. For more information about coverage and auto insurance options contact The Accel Group in Eastern Iowa today.