Five Tips for Choosing Health Insurance in Iowa
With more than 3 million people in the state, Iowa boasts one of the highest percentages of residents with health care coverage. In fact, according to HealthCare.org, fewer than 9 percent of Iowans are uninsured.
But there’s a difference between just having insurance and having the right health care coverage. And that’s where the experienced agents from The Accel Group can help.
Beginning in 2014, everyone in Iowa must carry insurance or pay a penalty of $95 per person or one percent of your salary, whichever is greater, according to U.S. News and World Report.
Whether you’re beginning a job, leaving a job, or your life circumstances have changed, let the experts at The Accel Group help you select the ideal health insurance for your needs.
Here are five tips to help you purchase the health insurance plan that’s right for you:
- Determine your budget and your bottom line. How much can you realistically afford to pay toward premiums? How much can you easily pay out-of-pocket for doctor’s visits and medications? Knowing these figures will help you decide if you should choose a plan with a low deductible (the amount you pay before the insurance company pays the rest) or if you should select a plan with a higher deductible. The licensed agents at The Accel Group will lead you through this process.
- Study the networks. If you already have a doctor you really like, check to see if she/he is part of the insurance network you’re considering. The same thing goes for dentists and other doctors too. Having health care providers you trust is important. Make sure your physicians are part of your new plan. While most plans allow you to see out-of-network providers, you are usually charged more.
- Consider your age. If you’re young, healthy and under 30, you might consider buying a high-deductible catastrophic plan. This type of insurance focuses primarily on serious illnesses and hospitalizations. If you’re older, weigh different plans and decide which gives you the best overall coverage. The agents at The Accel Group will answer your questions and provide quotes from several insurers.
- Assess your health. If you or a loved one has a pre-existing health condition or if you regularly take expensive medications, look for a plan that will help you continue getting the treatment you require. There are many plans available. Let the agents at The Accel Group help you find the perfect match.
- Learn the lifetime benefits. Read the fine print to find out what your plan says about both annual and lifetime benefits. No one can predict a serious illness. Consider that you or a family member might need in-patient rehabilitation or psychiatric treatment. Know these caps and limits ahead of time before you purchase a health insurance policy.
We hope these five tips will help you as you consider purchasing health insurance in Iowa. At The Accel Group, we are eager to answer your questions and customize insurance coverage for you and your family.